GEORGETOWN, Texas – The Southwestern University Pirates capitalized on East Texas Baptist University mistakes and utilized a balanced attack to defeat the Tigers 3-0.
Southwestern put together its second most efficient attack of the season, hitting .231 with a monster .464 second set, totaling 39 kills.
- Five of the Pirates' primary attackers hit at least .250, led by Riley Brantley, who finished with 10 kills on 17 attacks for a .529 hitting percentage.
Brantley varied her swing patterns, swinging around to empty spaces and working off quick sets from Katelyn Whitehead up the middle to keep ETBU off balance.
- Whitehead spread the ball around with 27 assists and also controlled it with nine digs. The first year setter varied the Pirate attack with four Pirates finishing with at least seven kills.
- Elleanna McGown did a lot of damage from the back row, finishing with eight kills and 12 digs on a .261 hitting percentage.
- Sophomores Lauren Crabtree and Ashley Whitlock were efficient with Crabtree poasting seven kills (.267), six digs, and two aces. Whitlock provided scoring punch off the bench, recording five kills on nine attacks with one error (.444 hitting percentage).
- The Pirates took advantage of a number of ETBU errors, including nine attack errors in the first set for a -.053 hitting percentage and multiple out of rotation violations that made up a handful of the Pirates' nine aces.
With the victory, the Pirates improve to 6-4 on the season, dropping ETBU to 7-5. Southwestern will open conference play next week in Shreveport, La., facing Schreiner and Centenar on Friday, Sep. 20 and Dallas and Colorado College on Saturday, Sep. 21.