MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Southwestern nearly pulled out the upset in their first game in Memphis but were bested in the eighth to fall to No. 10 Emory 4-3 Saturday morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southwestern drew first blood with a two RBI double to center field by Berkeley Bacon in the first.
- Emory matched the runs in the bottom half of the inning to tie the game 2-2.
- Bacon again came through in the third to hand the lead back to the Pirates with an RBI single to drive home Stacy Rosengren.
- Emory pushed one across on a single but Marissa Irvin gunned down Taylor Forte to keep the game tied 3-3.
- Neither team could string enough hits together to score the game winner in regulation, but Emory executed on the international tie breaker in the bottom of the eighth to score the game winner.
Southwestern drops to 18-19 on the season and remain in Memphis to face Rhodes Saturday for game two of the tournament.