ABILENE, Texas – Southwestern committed eight errors through two games to drop a non-conference double-header to Hardin-Simmons University 6-5, 9-1 (5).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hardin-Simmons had a slight one run lead in game one after four Pirate errors, 3-2, through five innings before Southwestern unloaded for three runs in the sixth.
- Southwestern's fifth error of the game cost them the lead in the seventh as HSU tied the game 5-5 with one out and bases loaded.
- The Cowgirls' Darden posted the game-winning RBI single to give SU the 6-5 loss in game one.
- Silvas opened game two with a leadoff single and stole second, eventually scoring on a wild pitch to give SU an early 1-0 lead.
- Hardin-Simmons exploded for five runs in the fourth to take a commanding 8-1 lead and scored one more in the fifth to arrive at the 9-1 run rule final.
- Celeste Silvas: 3-6, 2 RBI
- Katie Bricarell: 2-5, 2 runs, 1 walk
- Chandler Smith: 6.1 innings, 2 earned runs, 3 strikeouts, 1 walk
- Game 1
- 5 runs, 10 hits, 5 errors, 7 left on base
- 6 runs, 12 hits, 1 error, 7 left on base
- Game 2
- 1 run, 3 hits, 3 errors, 2 left on base
- 9 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors, 3 left on base
Southwestern (2-2) remains on the road to face Concordia (0-0) on Wednesday, February 17th for a double-header beginning at 4 pm.