SEGUIN, Texas – Just two days into the new year and Southwestern men's basketball has already posted a huge comeback, nail-biting finish and overtime contest in their SCAC opener against Texas Lutheran Saturday. Southwestern fell 91-87 in overtime.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- TLU took an early lead and lead by as many as eight in the first quarter, but Southwestern managed to cut it to five by the end of the frame, 25-20.
- After outscoring the Bulldogs in the second quarter Southwestern went into the locker room trailing by just three, 40-37.
- Texas Lutheran posted a double-digit lead 52-42 with 5:14 to go in the third, but SU battled back to cut it to one, 57-56 with just under a minute to go.
- The Pirates weren't able to hit a rhythm in the final frame, however, as TLU extended their lead throughout the fourth quarter.
- Olivia Podaras: 17 points, 6-16 FG, 1-2 3PT, 7 rebounds, 3 steals
- Audrey Garcia: 14 points, 7 assists, 2 steals
- Brianna Turney: 11 points, 5-8 FG
- Madison Edwards: 10 points, 4 assists
- Field goals: SU 37.1% (26-70), TLU 48.2% (27-56)
- 3-point: SU 33.3% (5-15), TLU 41.2% (7-17)
- Free throws: SU 60.9% (14-23), TLU 75.8% (25-33)
- Rebounds: SU 41, TLU 41
- Turnovers: SU 15, TLU 21
Southwestern falls to 3-9 on the year and 0-1 in the SCAC. They return home to face Austin College (7-4,1-0) on Friday, January 8th at 8 p.m.