ABILENE, Texas – A huge fourth quarter led to Southwestern's third win of the season, a 75-70 win over Hardin-Simmons Thursday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After five ties in the first quarter HSU ended the first with a slight one point lead, 14-13.
- HSU hit a hot streak in the second quarter and led by 13 points, 31-18 with 6:39 remaining. With a huge run to close the frame Southwestern pulled within three, 37-34 by the end of the second.
- Hardin-Simmons held onto control of the game through the third and took a four point advantage into the fourth, 60-56.
- The Pirates continued to press and were finally able to tie the game at 68 with 2:16 remaining and took the lead on their next possession on a free throw from Madison Edwards. SU held the Cowgirls scoreless in the final three minutes and went 4-4 from the free throw line to secure the win.
- Olivia Podaras: 26 points, 11-19 FG, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals
- Tori Carraway: 21 points, 9-12 FG, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals
- Madison Edwards: 11 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals
- Field goals: SU 48.3% (29-60), HSU 44.1% (26-59)
- 3-point: SU 12.5% (1-8), HSU 39.1% (9-23)
- Free throw: SU 72.7% (16-22), HSU 69.2% (9-13)
- Rebounds: SU 32, HSU 38
- Turnovers: SU 17, HSU 21
Southwestern improves to 3-8 on the season and return to action on Saturday, January 2nd as they open Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference action in Seguin against Texas Lutheran (4-7) at 6 p.m.