GEORGETOWN, Texas – Southwestern held a stout UT Dallas offense to their second lowest point total of the season but ultimately fell 50-44.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a first quarter that saw just seven combined field goals from the two teams UTD held a slight advantage 11-8.
- Southwestern took a brief lead in the second quarter but the Comets pulled ahead again and sent Southwestern into the locker room trailing by five, 22-17.
- UT Dallas' press challenged the Pirates early in the third and allowed the Comets to mount a 13 point lead early in the frame. SU buckled down and pulled within three points with 2:24 remaining but still trailed 39-30 heading into the fourth.
- Southwestern again posted a comeback and came within two points with 2:48 remaining, but UTD's Nicolette Erkman hit a three to put the Comets out of reach.
- Kelsey Faykus: 11 points, 4-10 FG, 5 rebounds, 4 steals
- Madison Edwards: 7 rebounds, 6 points
- Tori Carraway: 3 steals, 7 points, 5 rebounds
- Field goals: SU 32.7% (17-52); UTD 32.7% (18-55)
- 3-point: SU 0.0% (0-12); UTD 25% (5-20)
- Free throws: 66.7% (10-15); UTD 45% (9-20)
- Rebounds: SU 39; UTD 39
- Turnovers: SU 25; UTD 25
Southwestern drops to 2-7 on the year. They return to action on New Year's Eve for a rematch of Thursday night's overtime loss to Hardin-Simmons. Tipoff is set for 5:30 pm in Abilene.