GEORGETOWN, Texas – Senior guard Audrey Garcia posted 33 points, including the game tying three in regulation, lifting Southwestern to a 97-88 win over Hardin-Simmons Thursday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With outstanding three-point shooting (71.4%) Hardin-Simmons led by one point after the first quarter, 25-24.
- Southwestern turned up the heat and was able to slow the HSU offense to take a one point lead, 40-39, into the locker room at halftime.
- The Pirates came out of halftime with a renewed focus and quickly built a ten point lead, 51-41. The ten point lead held up as SU led 70-60 at the end of the third.
- The deep shooting of HSU's Kourtney Holyfield not only erased SU's lead but gave the Cowgirls a one-point lead, 81-80, with one minute remaining.
- Garcia's three with 15 seconds on the clock tied the game 83-83 and the Pirates kept HSU from scoring to force overtime.
- Southwestern held Hardin-Simmons to just five points in the extra frame, securing the nine-point win.
- Audrey Garcia: 33 points, 12-20 FG, 6-10 3-PT, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals
- Madison Edwards: 17 points, 7-15 FG, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
- Kelsey Faykus: 15 points, 7-14 FG, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
- Field goals: SU 45.8% (38-83); HSU 47.8% (32-67)
- 3-point: SU 40% (8-20); HSU 52.4% (11-21)
- Free throws: SU 59.1% (13-22); HSU 68.4% (13-19)
- Rebounds: SU 45; HSU 41
- Turnovers: SU 9; HSU 17
Southwestern improves to 2-6 on the year with the win while Hardin-Simmons falls to 2-8. The Pirates host UT Dallas (5-1) Friday at 3 pm.