LONGVIEW, Texas – Despite a pair of double-doubles from Madison Edwards and Olivia Podaras, Southwestern struggled to get anything going consistently offensively as the Pirates fell 54-44 at LeTourneau Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Once again the Pirates started strong on a 6-0 run but allowed the Yellow Jackets back in the game and SU trailed by six at the end of the first quarter, 18-12.
- It took nearly five minutes in the second for Southwestern to score but with tough defense SU was able to take a two point lead into the break, 29-27.
- The lead didn't last long as LeTU managed a run early in the third and led 42-38 heading into the final frame.
- LeTourneau led by six, 44-38, with 8:54 to play in the game before both teams went silent offensively. LeTU's Jones broke the draught with a jumper with 4:59 on the clock to put the Yellow Jackets up eight and despite a Southwestern run late, LeTourneau hung on for the win.
- Madison Edwards: 13 points, 10 rebounds
- Audrey Garcia: 10 points, 8 rebounds
- Olivia Podaras: 10 points, 13 rebounds
- Field Goals: SU 18-69 (26.1%), LeTU 18-66 (27.3%)
- 3-pointers: SU 2-14 (14.3%), LeTU 5-22 (22.7%)
- Free Throws: SU 6-18 (33.3%), LeTU 13-16 (81.3%)
- Rebounds: SU 57, LeTU 49
- Turnovers: SU 21, LeTU 13
Southwestern (0-2) hosts UT Tyler (0-0) for their home opener on Friday at 6 pm.