GEORGETOWN, Texas – A determined, relentless Southwestern men's lacrosse team thrilled fans with a double overtime win over undefeated Kean University Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After two quick first quarter Kean goals Southwestern got a burst of confidence behind the outstanding play of Charlie Fisher in goal.
- Austin Fox broke open the scoring for SU in the final 26 seconds of the first quarter. Southwestern dominated the second quarter, outscoring the Cougars 3-0 to lead 4-2 at the break.
- Kean made a run to open the third quarter, regaining the lead 6-4 just over five minutes into the frame.
- A back-and-forth contest saw the Pirates take a 9-8 lead with 10:28 left on the clock, but Kean evened the count 9-9 just in time to force overtime.
- Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the first overtime but Southwestern's Matthew Montagne scored the game winner with just five ticks left on the clock.
- Matthew Montagne: 2 goals, 1 assist, game-winner
- Charlie Fisher: 16 saves, 67:55 minutes
- Austin Fox: 3 goals
- Jordan Riggs: 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 ground ball
Southwestern improves to 5-4 and ends their lengthy home stand to open the season. They hit the road for the first time this season to face Hanover (2-4) on Monday, March 14th at 3 pm CST.