GEORGETOWN, Texas – A tight first quarter gave way to a Cougar scoring spree the Pirates were unable to recover from as Southwestern fell to Misericordia 16-9 at home.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Misericordia struck first but Southwestern quickly took the lead with back-to-back goals from Austin Fox and Jared Welsh.
- MU scored two goals to end the first quarter with a one goal lead, 4-3.
- The Cougars outscored Southwestern 12-2 through the second and third quarters as the Pirates headed into the fourth down 15-6.
- MU scored their final goal of the game with 13:39 remaining and Southwestern closed the game with three unanswered goals to arrive at the final.
- Matthew Montagne: 2 goals, 2 assists, 2 ground balls
- Jordan Riggs: 3 assists, 3 ground balls
- Dakota Skinner: 4 caused turnovers, 5 ground balls, 1 goal
- Austin Fox: 2 goals, 1 ground ball, 1 caused turnover
- Jared Welsh: 2 goals, 2 ground balls
Southwestern falls to 3-3 on the year and remain in the midst of their long home stand to host Franciscan on Wednesday at 4 pm.