GEORGETOWN, Texas – Southwestern opened the year with a thrilling come from behind win over rival Hendrix College Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hendrix struck first six minutes in but Matthew Montagne evened the count to end the first tied 1-1.
- The Warriors scored three unanswered goals in the second quarter to put the Pirates in a 4-1 heading into halftime.
- Southwestern used halftime to their advantage and regrouped, cutting the deficit to three, 6-3 by the end of the third.
- SU rolled in the fourth and outscored Hendrix 4-1 as Montagne scored the game-tying goal with just 32 seconds left on the clock.
- It took just over a minute into overtime for the Pirates to steal the win as Austin Fox buried the ball in the back of the net for the game-winner.
- Matthew Montagne: 2 goals, 5 shots, 5 ground balls
- Kai Knight-Turcan: 2 goals, 8 shots, 6 shots on goal, 3 ground balls
- Jordan Riggs: 6 ground balls, 5 shots, 4 shots on goal
- Dakota Skinner: 3 caused turnovers
- Shots: 35
- Saves: 15
- Turnovers: 13
- Face offs: 6-17
- Man-up: 1-5
- Shots: 36
- Saves: 14
- Turnovers: 15
- Face offs: 11-17
- Man-up: 0-2
Southwestern starts the season at 1-0 and remains at home to face Rhodes on Friday at 4 pm.