Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Late Rallies Lift Yellow Jackets Past Pirates

Late Rallies Lift Yellow Jackets Past Pirates

GEORGETOWN, Texas - LeTourneau rallied in the seventh inning to stun Southwestern in the first game and completes sweep in a shootout in the final contest.

Southwestern looked to rebound after a tough loss on Friday night and Head Coach RJ Thomas got the response he was looking for but fell just short.

The Pirates led for most of the game in the first part of the doubleheader, but the LeTourneau Yellowjackets rallied in the 7th and final inning, going on a 6-0 run to stun Southwestern and take game one of the doubleheader 6-5.

In game one, Southwestern jumped out to a 3-0 start in the bottom first, when Jay Sterling scored after Jeff Glasgow's RBI single to left field. Cruz Luna and Glasgow also scored for the Pirates in the inning.

Southwestern's next run came in the bottom 4th inning, when Josh Presnall scored after the pitcher committed two errors. The Pirates retained the lead the majority of the game, going into the top 7th inning. Starting pitcher Carl Mueller had almost 120 pitches for the game and 7 strikeouts in which the Yellowjackets were scoreless in the first 6 innings.

Just when you think this game might be over, here comes the LeTourneau Yellowjackets buzzing back. After two runs and two walks Jose Chapa took over for Mueller on the mound. A 2 RBI single by Yates and costly Pirate error gave LeTourneau a 6-4 lead at the top 7th inning.

The Pirates had one last shot at making a run in the bottom 7th. Jay Sterling's one out double kept hopes alive and he scored on Glasgow's shot to right field with two outs. The Yellow Jackets ended the run to close out the game 6-5. Curt Copeland received the win for LeTourneau while Jose Chapa garnered the loss.

Sterling went 2-3 with two runs scored while Will Burks posted two hits and Glasgow two RBI's.  

The second game featured a seesaw battle between the two teams, changing the lead back and forth between innings. Southwestern rallied late in the innings, even taking the lead momentarily, before the Yellowjackets scored more runs to seal the deal and complete the sweep with a 10-9 win in the second game.

The first three innings of the second game were dormant, as LeTourneau had a 1-0 lead, after Garrett Methvin scored in the top 2nd on a wild pitch.

Then between the 4th and 9th innings, it went from a slow game to a seesaw battle between the two. Dillon Yates began the scoring in the top 4th when he hit another home run and the Yellow Jackets posted five in the inning to lead by six, 6-0, through four and a half.

The Pirates then responded in the bottom 4th and 5th innings, going on a 7-0 run, and taking the lead temporarily at 7-6 at the bottom of the 5th. Between those two innings, the Pirates had 7 runs, 7 hits, 6 RBIs and stole three bases.

LeTourneau led 9-8 heading into the eighth inning. Jason Stading came to the mound and got three outs in three hitters. SU got back to work in the bottom half of the inning. Glasgow singled up the middle to kick things off with one out. Pinch runner Dickson Wharton scored the tying run on an error by the catcher after moving into scoring position on a wild pitch.

The Yellow Jackets scored the game winner in the ninth on Bertram's single after Meth's double to right center with one out. Southwestern didn't have the response in the bottom half of the inning to drop the heartbreaker.

Glasgow, Lynch, Shea and Luna all posted two hits in game two while LeTourneau's Bertram went 3-5.

LeTourneau begins the season at 3-0, while the Pirates drop to 1-5. Southwestern will have just a short break before their next game at home against Texas Lutheran University, which is scheduled for Tuesday, February 12th at 6:00PM.