Bucs' Beat in Semifinal

Bucs' Beat in Semifinal

Southwestern lost 69-61 to Trinity in the semifinals of the SCAC Men's Basketball Championships in Sherman, Texas on Saturday evening.  The Pirates carried a lead well into the first half, but it was Trinity who finished with the victory.

Michael Cantu started off the game knocking down a pair of free throws stemming from a technical foul on the Trinity bench.  The Pirates alternated with a pair of layups and three pointers to give themselves a 12-8 lead with twelve minutes left in the first half.  Then Southwestern hit a cold spell and Trinity took advantage and went on a 14-0 run before Sean Myers made a layup to cut it to a 22-14 game.  The Tigers led by as many as twelve before Myers made two from the charity stripe to make it 30-20 at halftime. 

The Pirates fought hard in the second half as Chris Lee connected from beyond the arc and Myers followed with a layup to close the gap to 36-31 with fourteen minutes left to play. 

Southwestern threatened again with just under a minute to play as they scored 7 points in just fourteen seconds.  Myers hit his free throw after getting fouled on a made layup.  Then Trinity's Robert Kitzinger got called for a technical foul, and Nicholas Atiee made the first and missed the second from the line.  The Pirates were able to retain possession and Ryan Fees hit a three pointer to make it 63-57 with 0:44 left on the clock.  Southwestern fouled to try and get the ball back, but Trinity made their free throws down the stretch to seal the game at 69-61.

Sean Myers led all scorers with 24 points and was a rebound shy of a double double for the Pirates.  Robert Kitzinger led Trinity in scoring with 23 points and Heath Hopson contributed 20 points and 12 rebounds on the day. 

The Southwestern Pirates conclude their season with an overall record of 11-16.  Trinity advances to the SCAC Men's Basketball Championship final and awaits the winner of the Colorado College and Austin College semifinal game.