500 Strong: SAAC Meet & Greet kicks off school year
GEORGETOWN, Texas - Approximately 500 student-athletes, President Burger, Athletics Director Dr. Munt and the Southwestern coaching staff kicked off the 2013-14 year with the fourth annual Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Meet and Greet.
Developed and run by SAAC, the event allows all student-athletes to meet each other and the Athletics Department staff while competing in games to earn a t-shirt at the end of the event. 150 pizzas were purchased to feed all those involved.
The student-athlete advisory committee (SAAC) is a committee made up of student-athletes assembled to provide insight on the student-athlete experience. SAAC also offers input on the rules, regulations and polices that affect student-athletes' lives on NCAA member institution campuses.
An association-wide SAAC was adopted at the 1989 NCAA Convention and was formed primarily to review and offer student-athlete input on NCAA activities and proposed legislation that affected student-athlete welfare.
DIVISION III SAAC MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the NCAA Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is to enhance the total student-athlete experience by promoting opportunity for all student-athletes; protecting student-athlete welfare; and fostering a positive student-athlete image, while maintaining the tenets of the Division III philosophy.
SAAC AT A GLANCE:
- Generate a student-athlete voice within the NCAA structure
- Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed NCAA legislation
- Recommend potential NCAA legislation
- Review, react and comment to the governance structure on legislation, activities and subjects of interest
- Actively participate in the administrative process of athletics programs and the NCAA
- Promote a positive student-athlete image
- Disseminate information to team members
- Build a sense of community involving all team and conference institutions
PAST SOUTHWESTERN SAAC PROJECTS
- Pirates on the Playground at local Elementary schools
- “Helping Hooks” for on-campus community
- Sponsor of Canned Food Drive for the Caring Place in Georgetown
- Donations to the Eagle Locker for homeless students at Georgetown High School
- National Student-Athlete Day
- Co-Sponsor of Friday Night Live events with Campus Activities